so here we are. i decided i was a size 6, because i usually am.
here are my pieces!
which is such a more pleasurable thought process than "oof this is going to fit like crap and what a waste of money ugh yuck i probably measured myself wrong again."
so, yay.
ok! here's my first princess seam. didn't i do a nice job? i did, i just don't have a ham to press it on. donations?
So. How Cute is This Jacket??
![]() |
| (really cute!) |
![]() |
| Look, the arm moves! |
i didn't do the fancy bias business on the sleeve cap because it's late and my cocktail is kind of strong, so the sleeve is a little wonky, but hot damn i aligned it right and the length is darling. maybe a little TOO darling? i may have to lengthen the sleeves because it's cold here (not really cold, yes really lengthen.) think she'll get mad?
![]() |
| i sewed the back stay on the wrong side. who cares? i learned. |
and, for the grand finale, HERES THE REAL STUFF
I'm still a little scared to go cutting, but the muslin showed me gertie's got my back, right?
it's a brownish black wool with hecka color flecks. i'm lining it in lime. the fool at the store tried to sell me a black lining. WHAT? i'll probably do fabric buttons unless i find something fantastic and limey in the interim. HEARTS.










6 comments:
Terrific work! How exciting! A couple of other questions - are you narrow in the shoulders? And are you short in the waist? Just trying to determine whether a) I should cut the 4 (my shoulders are narrow and my bust 37-37.5 / waist 30) and b) whether I'll need to shorten the waist (as I generally do).
Thanks! I'm so glad to have just done it, I could have thought and wavered forever. For fitting, I think my shoulders and torso length are pretty average - i fit pretty easily in most RTW clothes and haven't had to make many adjustments in my limited pattern sewing either. get cutting! i wanna see your muslin. :)
I'm going to try and put together the first version tomorrow. Of course, now I'm having tension issues with my vintage machine (the one I've taken out recently), so I'm going to have to try to resolve that before I start. I think, if that becomes to complicated, that I might put it away and just pull out my regular Brother.
Hey: Did you find that your front pieces were longer or shorter than the side front pieces? Trying to figure out what might be going on with my muslin. I seem to need to take the front side longer than the front so that I have the extension to fit the sleeves into the arm hole. Any feedback would be welcome. Thanks!
yes! i think the side seams didn't match up exactly, now that I think of it. I didn't worry at the time, but i was SUPER careful with the cutting and seam allowances, so they should have matched. i can check tonight- or have you already figured it out?
If the front pieces aren't an inch longer than the side front pieces, chances are you cut the wrong size. I've been wondering why I had a) trouble getting the notches lined up b) trouble easing in the princess seams - like more than I've ever had with any other princess seam. The curve was intense c) too much fabric on the sleeve head and - even though I may need to do an FBA - the princess seams were so far to the side it was weird. I suspect you may have cut the wrong size if you only have 3 lines to the inside of the front and back pieces. But don't take my word for it. I'm still figuring this out. Stay tuned.
Yours does look tight when you raise your arms forward, but not so much when your arm is down. You see, you cut the sleeve - which is probably less detrimental to the size of the armscye than cutting the actual bodice pieces (which is what I did).
Post a Comment