I'll make a muslin for a complicated project like this next time. I'm really tempted to tear the whole thing apart and take it in, i'm also tempted to just start fresh with another fabric (like wool!). but mostly, i'm excited about a spring wardrobe (even though it's been freezing and I've had the stupid FLU), so i'm looking for dresses and tops patterns for now.
Here is the jacket! I think I'm violating some rule of the sewing bloggers with bathroom mirror pictures, but i'm a n00b, so sue me.
I love the fabric. swish swish swish is it olive or brown? i couldn't tell so i used a contrasting thread & zipper. All told the fabric and MESH lining (so sporty) cost maybe 45 bucks, and i used a zipper that i think came from my mom! total for the jacket is about $60, which went to 1) independent designer and 2) local fabric shop. woo! And it's an excellent price for a good looking rain jacket with a hood...but oh lord it took at least 40 solid hours of work, partially because i had trouble understanding the directions and partially because it had been so long since I sewed something so involved and actually stuck to the pattern...
i'd definitely make it again! with these changes
1) in a size 6, with the famed FBA. i wayyy overcompensated for the big hips small bust shape of the jacket by making it 8 on bottom and 10 (!) on top. yes, this is why muslins are popular.
2) definitely include pockets. i think on seam (thanks, Amy) is the best option. what with the welt and patch pocket options that popped up in the sewalong, i skipped them out of indecision. But now that the thing is on my bod, I keep reaching for the nonexistent pockets. (poches!)
3) get the proper zipper length for the hood pocket...heh . you can't tell me what to do!
4) line the hood and collar with fleece / fur / flannel -- something cozy.
5) mesh is easy to work with! way easier than i thought-- but it does reveal the elastic. so know that!
6) get ball point needles. CHECK. I had no idea these existed.
This process also prompted me to get a dressform - here she is! her name is ladyfriend.
i'm been sewing furiously as I avoid my problems (do you recognize that atrocity of a t shirt? its pattern is very hot right now and boy did i blow it!). more photos to come!





5 comments:
if you decide to make another coat, I'll take that adorable olive one off your hands :)
Looks great!
I love your new jacket and think your fabric choices are so perfect. Nice job on a difficult project.
thanks you guys! after a few wears, ms mags, i think you'll have to get v 2 or 3. want one for your bday? :)
Have you tried a tripod for your camera? They aren't expensive and I prefer that to having my DH take pictures for me now!
Post a Comment