Tuesday, March 06, 2012

inspiration: grannies

My Grannies were sew-ers. Would they be called sewists today? Probably. Then, they were just "women."

Cleo is the fashionable one, who was from Nebraska but never passed a sale without scoring something glamorous. Ms Cleopatra, as a single lady:


Aww. I want to copy this collar. but scoopier, of course, for the modern era. 

Here she is in the way back (are you a fashion historian? What is this, 20s?), showing off her unders and glamming on the porch. Fabulousss. I love how frumpy and froofy her dress is (that's her on the right), and that it still hugs her waist so nicely and is completely see through. This isn't a "flash effect" like you see on the red carpet today, there was no flash photography. She's just out, flashing in the sunshine.


Now- the wedding shot. By this point, she had hopped a boat to Central America, started lying about her age, and bagged an up-and-coming young pilot for her Man. How lovely is her super understated dress? And what? fingerless, opera length gloves? Yups. 

And finally, here she is with my pretty mom and (paternal) great grandmother. In Hawaii in the 60s. I am genetically blessed, right? Pardon the grave note, but this is what Grandma looked like while she was dying of cancer.  
 Not a ton of style to steal directly (like in the form of dress patterns), but I'll keep looking. And no matter what, I get some sweet white hair when it's time. None of that screwing about with grey. Woop!

Can I borrow your grannies' outfits? xo bex

No comments: