Taking just a week of selfies showed me that it was time to get active. I've been teaching and on my feet for 6-8 hours a day, but not yoga or running as much as I should. That feedback was hard to take (as a sewist I measure myself constantly, but somehow...), but easy to act on. I've been working out 3-4 times a week and am feeling much fitter and hotter (http://instagram.com/p/ozMRzjvhcn/). ;)
reader- how can i post images here from instagram? ??
2nd lesson: I'm making what I like to wear.
My funds have been pretty tight for a couple of years since quitting PR and moving to education, so if I wanted to wear something I had to make it. Done! MMM made me focus on solid color tops to coordinate with my flashy bottoms, which means I have a new black tee and a new acid green tee to make eveything else infinitely more wearable.
3rd lesson: I reallly reallly really wanted a Saturday/Farmers market dress.
My darlingdonne was a hit and made me a sewing friend at the farmers market, but honestly it feels dumpy (even after i raised the hem 3-4" from those pics) and I stretched the v neckline on the right side so i don't love it as much as others do. Enter Linen! Laurel! AAAAYYYYY-men. I finished the neck and arms with piping because WHY NOT. I've been wearing these every weekend since and they are so easy to style and wear. I don't even wash them - just rinse and hang because linen fell from heaven in a divine state.
4th lesson: The stash is shrinking due to ruthless busting.
I'm making silk "muslins" at this point, to get rid of those "too fancy for today" fabrics that just sit there. It forces me to learn silk skills (thanks, Thread Cult!) and relieves the guilt of hoarding. Sewing is to reduce my impact, right?
5th lesson: I am SO FORTUNATE to be doing this here (in the SF Bay area). There's an awesome meetup group that makes me feel connected even if i barely ever make it (see first year teaching), the world's best sewing store next to the world's best grocery store about a mile from my house and they are both locally owned. There are lots of other scrappy and mystifying resources around, and of course, the people are ridiculously awesome. My meetup isn't octogenarian quilters (that would be fun sometimes but you know), it's Beth! and Meg! and a bunch of other people who will probably blow my mind when I finally meet them. Also Katrina, my latest art/craft crush, who I met at an art crawl last month and whose art got me focused on foxes. My finally-found spirit animal!

Please send fox fabric.
So there we have it. What did you learn? What shall we sew this summer?
xooxoxxoo bex
No comments:
Post a Comment