Sunday, May 18, 2014

i miss you

this is just a list of things i'd like to blog about. it's so awkward coming back here after such a huge gap!

all about me
- t shirt quest. how to
reproduce the perfect j crew drapey tee...and also test make every t shirt pattern ever posted on the internet.
meg meelwee's v-neck pattern
-  what i've learned about sewing underwear!! i love it soooooo.
- I finally made a laurel dress (not just a top) and it's my new favorite wear-every-saturday day dress. no waistline ladies ftw.
- on buying better fabrics and hallelujah I am over that price-is-key era of my sewing. also send me linen so i can stay cool forever. it's really hot here.
nice fabrics catch the light
- somehow at the same time I'm using up my stash! I worked really hard last fall and winter to NOT buy more fabric. I started slipping this spring, but am back at the busting! just this weekend: a failed Tiny pocket tank took up one of my first stonemountain discount shirting buys (c. 2011?) and Laurel #2 took up some yummy ikat that I bought for xmas gifts in 2012 and then kept instead. that yardage has needed a home since i tried (and HATED) the burda Anda.
- fixing things that were almosts and chucking things that were good practice at the time.
- i love grainline jen. that's old news innit. anyway, the latest love comes from the lakeside pajamas which have a weird bust thing i'm getting used to but is still annoying (why are her patterns so HUGE in the back and so high and tight in the bust? she looks so proportional and normal...). it makes me feel so lovely to wear intentional pajamas and not just jersey pants and an old unicorn tee shirt. can't wait to make set #2 out of this crazy gingham that is soft as silk.
a friend gave me this quilting cotton for some reason. stash busted! 
other people
- I made a bunch of stuff for the boy. i love it. so far I've bought him shoes for this season, and that may be all...we'll see if I can make/mend/inherit his whole wardrobe. i'll keep our consumption down as long as he lets me!
made this t (recognize the sleeve fabric?)
and inherited the shorts. he's happy. 
- i bought two haircuts and a bang trim with clothes i sewed. sewing for other people is kind of scary, but it gets easier as you know your audience.
- two friends got underpants for their birthdays and it made me feel good to give them fancy things I had made. lacey underthings? you're welcome.
cash value = two cool haircuts
the house
- um, quilting? I did it. what do i do with these things now? I should check Jen's blog.
- i really need interior design help in my apartment. I have gorgeous fabrics to use for curtains and such but have no flipping idea where to start.

and hanging out with other sewing people?!
- bay area sewists meets monthly! like all meetup groups, i stalked online for about 4 months before finally getting my ass to the event. It was lovely! such cool ladies doing the sewing. and I got to accost Beth and ask her what is the DEAL with the armpit lines on the tiny pocket tank. Thankfully Lindsay was there too and she had the lines so I didn't feel like a total dodo sewing noob.
- it occurs to me now that sewists, like dancers, are fine touching each other (well, our clothes) and pointing at boobs. so funny: "Hi Beth, I'm rebecca. Can i ask you a fit question?" next we're both checking out my bust and touching my armpits. and then drawing geometric diagrams.

What's in the queue?
- papercut la sylphide muslin (which is actually made of silk. The opposite of muslin. remember that stashbusting? I bought 1.5 yards of gorgeous silk crepe 2+ years ago and have been afraid to use it since. Today i cut it into a sylphide blouse because if it works its a coup and if it doesn't well at least it's not sitting in there yelling at me.) then a dress out of this moth print rayon. i have it all backwards, leave me alone ;)
- burda silk motorcycle jacket in gold-shimmer linen (inspired by sallie's beach mini last year). Bay area summer jacket, ya know.
- hawaii wardrobe: wax print keyhole maxi (is that kristen wiig modeling?), bikini, and at least one sexy fun dress (this fancy maxi?)
- jams!
these Sara pants are tight and loud. let's go to the club!
- i made a "muslin" of the Named Sara leggings and LOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEE them. it's too hot right now for those so they're tabled temporarily.
- trying out the SBCC trousers. I need nicer work pants and have the bEST stretch wool waiting for them if they work. that crazy 'muslin' loudness above will make some hot shorts if the pattern works. whooohew.

No comments: