Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Sinbad & Sailor Dove tee

Today is woven tee day. 

I have made a couple of Grainline patterns' Scout tees, but am always doing something fiddly to bring in the back (CB seam, sneaky darts, etc). Full bust with a flowy shirt back combine to make me look like a teepee- not so flattering! So i bought I'd try out the Dove "fitted" tee from new kids (??) Sinbad & Sailor. I love the saucy back slit too. 

Here's my super scrap-busting version with plaid shirting, linen, and lace. No attempt at pattern matching due to fabric limits (make do and make).

Everything fit together like a dream! If it weren't a "muslin" I'd definitely French all the seams and might also set the sleeves flat. As it was, my machine bunched the lace of the arm heads just enough that I didn't have to fit them. Woo. 

Chucked the facing for a bias bound neckline, and I'd do that again too because I find facings are always flopping about and yuck.
I'll try it on in the mornin to suss the fit. In the meanwhile- have you tried this puppy? Were you as impressed as I am?

UPDATE: the fit was TERRIBLE. You can see that it's very wide and squat - that didn't work for me. I took in the side seams about 1/2-1" on each side, then let out the hem. 

It seems like the back slit is a way to make the shirt work in a fabric that doesn't move- and because it goes so high it's really revealing. I may add a button or two around the top of the slit to keep the top in place. a windy breeze almost revealed my whole torso without it! 

Finally, the armholes are really tight. I'll adjust that if I take this on again. Which I will probably do because the bust fits really nicely and I am a glutton for punishment/complicated projects with low payoff. 

Tell me- did you fix these things already? Or could you tell before I could that this top was a no-go?
Xoxo r


No comments: