When I was little, I got a new easter dress every year. I mean, realistically, I outgrew each Easter dress by the next year, but boy was that fun. Mom would dress me up and take photos of me mugging like a model. Christmas and Easter really feed capitalism, now that I think of it....but we are here to talk craft, not patriarchy ;)
So I really wanted an easter dress! I mean, really, the sun has finally started to shine, and i just love wearing pretty dresses more than anything. so i wanted to make some progress on something more fun than a danged blouse. (i love you blouses, don't cry!)
| how sweet. i love sweet, don't i? barf. |
I started with this pattern...it is written in a foreign language. it is not in Japanese, but it is also not in English. Nor is it very fully fleshed out. Nor is there a size chart. Also- the zipper is not included in the supply list! Argh.***
So I winged it- cutting down the middle of the pattern lines like usual, figuring i'm a medium most of the time, and in Euro styles that might be risky (fat American!) but worth a shot. it seemed like a normal size of fabric...
but it is too big. what size did i cut? i don't know. 100? 92? wtf are these sizes? where is the size chart?***. oh sorry - the bodice shape is ADORABLE. and the construction leaves nice clean edges without having to finish interior seams, which i hate *almost* as much as hemming.

I think i'll make it again because it is super cute, but i will cut a MUCH smaller size, so i may not use these modifications again...or maybe i will. I think I like my waist a little higher than natural, cause it flatters me more. Same with gathers at the waist- i turned the front gathers into some nice pleats (thanks, Sunni, for the inspiration) and it looks tres polished. gathers in the back give me a nice bustle effect, which is also cute for my "narrow" bum.
here it is in its current form: waiting for a zipper (my local was closed yesterday- so rude!), a skirt lining, and a hem. demon hem! I think i'll try this one with hem tape, or maybe lace. please help me remember that!
<3 and chocolate bunnies
bex
*** It has come to my attention that my reading comprehension is not strong. I am a severe skimmer. I move too fast, etc, etc. SOOOO, in writing this spazzy post, i went back and found that the supplies, size chart, and other pertinent info are on the website, but not the printed pattern. this discrepancy is irritating for those who don't always sew with laptop handy! anyway. lesson learned (possibly).
No comments:
Post a Comment