Monday, April 23, 2012

Darling Darling Ranges




 done! just in time for a sunny sunday.
I made the Darling Ranges (with a slightly higher neckline) in about what, 12 hours? I love this pattern! Meg is so cute with her super careful directions and "turn the sleeve right way round" aussie-isms. Did you know the pattern is named after a mountain range? So i wore it with boots, and took it on a hike (not pictured, thankfully).


after all of that cake and frosting talk, i put the frosting inside so i have a crazy versatile, super easy dress,  (which needs a slip- doh) and the insides are sparkled up for my own pleasure. woo! 


custom boobie cups. not bad, for a first time!

Handily, this "How to Move a Dart" (from Sunni, again) arrived just in time. Seriously, it's no wonder my previous attempts to sew for real were so ill-fated. I would get so bogged down without these amazing seamstresses around. I should also follow instructions and not just put the pockets wherever i want. the designer probably knows where your hands should go, dummy. 3 inches is good. 5 is too low. oh well.

I'd like to do a few versions-- maybe one with a longer bodice and the original neckline, and one with short sleeves (I HATE elastic sleeve endings). The back has a great fit...but maybe i'll try a version with darts back there too. Fun!
 
For next time: Move the dart down a good 2 inches, and do it more precisely, like for instance on the pattern! rather than in the already-cut fabric. (sewing muslins is boring.) i don't have a smidge of extra fabric on this project (45" fabric? whatever, stingy) so I had to MAKE DO. like a 40's lady. :)
it's kiddie butt dance ready
that right boob is a little pointy, isn't it. hm.
I thought about short sleeves, but decided against em on this version. i'll put on a cardigan. :)

happy summer!

No comments: