Wednesday, April 11, 2012

maybe i dove into perfect fit a little fast

this dress is supposed to be simple. should i just rip it apart and start over?

let's discuss. I didn't sew before going to bed last night. and this pretty dress wants to BE...so when i woke up at 5 for no reason, did i pull out the pilates mat? shaw. i inserted an invisible zipper! and then i tried it on
sad times
it's a sack! likely something to do with 5am 1/8 inch seam allowances on said zipper. duh.

holy mismatch!
AND THEN-  omg look what happened. the back bodice is 2 inches longer than the front...but only on one side.

How In The World did that happen?

i don't know. but i do know that i tried to measure and press and fix that problem first, before addressing fit-ness.see? sometimes smart enough.

back bodice, print matched and re-gathered, I pulled the front bodice shoulders up about an inch on either side, and took in the non-zipper side seam.
 ok, we're getting somewhere. This time, when i inserted the zipper i did it with 1" seam allowances, and even more around the pit (because that was the gape-iest at fitting).
the zipper isn't pretty, but the bodice is almost lined up, and the fit is getting there. When I have at it again, I'll try to improvise less and use the zipper insertion technique my mama taught me so long ago.

I didn't have the mojo to try it on again, but it looks pretty nice on my ladyfriend...

less bust gaping! that's a plus...
dear lord in heaven please help me to stick with this and not just start cutting gingham tonight!

oh- also. something is bugging me. When I was spazzing about the lack of info and sizing on this pattern, i ferociously violated an unspoken rule of positive people blogging. i have removed the rudeness in that particular post, but if you saw it and thought i was horrible, you were right! I'm really embarrassed. Sometimes I try and act a little spicier than i am, and that is when things go wrong.

Thanks, ya'll.
R

PS  on a happier note, if you would like to see a clever sewist's adventures with this dress, check out Suze.

1 comment:

Zoe said...

Hi Rebecca, so pleased you have signed up for MMMay'12! I hope you enjoy yourself,

All the best
Zoe xxx