Sunday, January 03, 2016

Goals for 2016: this gets long but not because it's a lot of goals

This year I did a really good job of making clothes I'll wear again and again, from pajamas and undies to jeans and party dresses. 

Stuff I made /top nine in 2015- from bottom- light jacket, swimsuit, jeans, summer dress, pjs, t shirts, and a sick Halloween cape. Not pictured but worn regularly: flannel dress, workout pants, pj variations, kid clothes and swimmers, 500 undies for me and people near by ;). 

Now I'd like to find my next /new /expanded tried and trues to make my wardrobe mega functional and totally me.


This year I have one goal. Beyond continuing to grow my skills and reducing the global impact of getting dressed, I want to go on a pattern fast. I've done pretty well with a fast on fabric, using what I have, I mean, before buying more. I make exceptions for a particular project that I force to the top of the list (my wool coat right now, for instance!), so it doesn't go into the stash hole. I've shopped the same at the reuse shops as regular fabric outlets: very judicious, with a plan, execute that plan. No hoarding! 
I scored this coat-making bundle at the reuse shop and immediately got to dyeing. Put it to work!

It may be trickier for patterns, because buying patterns feels low impact, resource wise, as so many are PDFs. Even more, they have that exciting NEW feeling, and make me feel like I'm supporting the indie sewing industry, which means employment for so many creative women. That's tricky, right? 

I love that these women (and Taylor), are kicking ass and making dollars, but I need to let others do the spending for a minute. 
That sicky pink wool after dyeing, with fur that has been in my closet since xmas 2006. Geez that's a long time! It's interlined with flannel left from my flannel dress and some pj pants. 

On the list, then:
Black Birkin/Kendall skinny jeans, this time in a straight 29. Nail that fit!
Sutton blouse v 1
Another Papercut Alexandria (v2) or Moji (v1) casual pant, especially for hiking. This is the pant I reach for most on the weekends, but it's missing from my wardrobe. 
Finish Waver jacket (in process photo above)finished: here 
Maybe this is the year for a finlayson...? I love how easy and profesh the kid version turned out, I can imagine getting lots of play from an adult edition.
Happy child wears handmade 

Halifax hoodie! (Replacing a threadbare h&m zip up from around 2007?? Frugal fanny, that's me!) Two versions: In $1 mystery fabric and maybe again in a nice one like merino 💓

Try out Cambie dress (I fell for the bday sale 😭) It's built for someone shaped completely different from me, but also seems like a fun dress that could be made in a variety of fabrics to go lots of places/events. Let's see!

Investigate pencil pants. I have the sew over it pattern, the Manhattan trouser, and a burda pattern, but I haven't been able to cut fabric for them. What's that about? I know some of it is body stuff- not wanting to suffer ill fitting pants, worry that I'll cut the complete wrong size...sadness after all that time and fabric and $ invested. 

Watch this space for continued fear and avoidance or a deep dive like I did with t shirts...which got me a go-to I love, and helps me avoid new pattern hysteria😳😁😀. 

Silk blouse, wool twill jacket with flashy insides, excellent denim, sneaky unders, all me made. That, my friends, is a wardrobe. 

How do you stay inspired but not shopping? Please share your sources!

And happy happy happy new year.
Xoxo
Bex 


No comments: