Monday, June 29, 2015

inquiry: Best T shirt (major updates)

A few years ago I conscientiously stopped wearing /buying/making t shirts. I was dressing fancier, and needed to step it up.

Then my life and fashion said it was ok again, and I didn't have any!

I'm making ALL the t-shirts, choosing the best 1 (or 2 - one each fitted and drapey, MAYBE), and chucking the rest.


This survey will only be helpful for you if you're shaped like me -- but lots of women are, so I hope it's of use! I'm 5'6", 38" bust, 30" waist, 38" hips.

Shirt 1: Grainline Hemlock T - free pattern, one size. Pattern includes long sleeves, but just cut them to 3-4" and it's a drapey, oversized T shirt-- well, actually, you'll need to shorten the hem another 4" (or more if you're shorter).
fresh out of the laundry basket sorrrrryyy
I had this pocket around so I slapped it on there. Here's the rayon knit I used.
shhhh
Shirt 2: Lou Box Top - this pattern is built for knits OR wovens, so once you find the shape you like, you can use that pattern allllla time. it's worth the $12.
here it is in motion. size down at least once if you use Lou for knits.

nice curve @ back, right?
and here is how posture changes the way your body looks, courtesy of showgirls everywhere
not in action
Shown here with scoopneck and curved front/back hem options (there are 3 hem options and two necklines included).
Tissue knit - zero fabric stability. Excellent drape :)
I like this one A LOT. I brought up the rear hem another 3", as patterned it was just too long (for this fabric). For work or any bending-over situations, I'll use the crewneck, not scoopneck, option.

Shirt 3: Plantain - again, free pattern, worth the printing! Fabric is rayon lycra jersey. (this is a plan, not a shirt, apparently.)

Shirt 4: THE WINNER! Megan Nielsen's Briar. I don't love the crazy high low hem, but the neck and bust and sleeve shaping are the best. Here's one I made in lovely interlock with dots. I used a M, I think...
and here's how i fixed the hem on the next one:

Shirt 5: from Meg McElwee's craftsy class. Good top, but too sporty in styling. I could probably hack it to open the neck and shorten, then widen the sleeves, but who has time for that when there are all of these lovely versions ready?

Shirt 6: scoopneck tee from Skirt as Top

I made a 25" x2" band to use at the neck. For my reference 😅

Real life: the sleeves are a little too short and narrow- for this one I wanted to add a band (3"Xsleeve circumference) to finish the edge and add a little length. 

Findings: Briar is the winner. Just fix the hem and size down a bit.
Not testing: Tonic top from SBCC or blank canvas tee from Cake-- I just don't like their shapes.

No comments: