Thursday, July 09, 2015

Last years bikinis and this years improvements

These look decent enough on my dummy, but I have a lot more need to fight gravity than she does. On me both tops were huge fails. 
Soma bikini view 2: b cup at best, but I bet it's better for even smaller busts.
lil star button I sewed at the Kauai airport ❤️
I loove the super low back on this one. 

I tried it on to see what the deal was and handily, there's a horizontal seam right across the bust. I can do this! 

Here's how I FBA'd it- super fun to feel like an engineer with curving lines. 
A little added to the bottom of the upper cup...
A whole lot added to the top of the lower cup (probably a smudge too much, but I'll tone it down in the seam allowance)...
And I narrowed the center triangle so it can act more like a stabilizing bra bridge.

(I had to give dummy some boobs for this demo)
Kept the low back, added volume.
It's fabulous! Now to finish it. 

do I finish with this polka dot fabric, so it matches the bottoms I made last summer? Or start fresh with THIS FABRIC??
Seems like an easy choice , I guess 😏.

And Just so I don't make this mistake again, 
Here's the Soma bikini view A. The elastic throughout is supposed to be FOE- should have been a clue this is not a heavy lifter. 😮
Others have written about issues at the top of the triangles- I just did a lazy pleat to deal with the excess fabric.
I tripled the elastic down here hoping for stability- to no avail. 

Can't quite theorize how to FBA this guy, so I'm putting it aside. I harvested the notions though! 

Off to a week of daily swims starting tomorrow! Wish me sewing luck tonight.

Xox bex

No comments: