Thursday, July 23, 2015

Flashy hot tub suit

I would like to tell you the story of a boy who loves bright colors, who knows what he wants, and can be a wonderful/terrible/delightful helper at the fabric store. He is the reason I have 3 spools of that useless but shiny metallic thread, and he is the designer and enthusiastic wearer of this amazing swim ensemble:

THE DAY BEFORE our river getaway, I went to the store for elastic (to finish my own last minute bikini). He came along. He saw this stuff on the shelf (we weren't supposed to be in the fabric section but I told myself swimsuit lining was a "notion"). I bought it. You can do like 35 swimsuits from a yard of fabric, you know?
$11.00 of happiness
I didn't make any of those swimsuits....yet. Because when we got home he told me how he'd design his own - a shiny stripe down the back, and the shorts with different panels of shiny/bright pattern - lightweight spandex leftovers from running pants I made for a friend.

I had to make it.

I used this pattern for the bottoms, getting SO FANCY that it's fully lined and reversible (and for modesty).
shorts in process - yes!
I used this pattern from this book for the top. CAKE.
The "back stripe" he requested turned into a back panel for time saving.
I mean, sort of. You know that feeling when a project is awesome and you're kind of winging it and really short for time butSUPER excited? I often think "uh oh I'm about to make mistakes"...this time I misclaculated the neckband, making it longer or maybe exactly as long as the neck opening. Duh.
top front
He wore it every time he got in the hot tub, which was daily. He would not wear it kayaking, running around, or ever near the river. Sense of occasion is strong in this one.
happy llamas abound!
Obviously it was a hit.
after and before fabric samples
The fabric did not hold up so well to constant chlorine abuse; let's call it a fabric test. A fabulous, crowd pleasing, super flashy fabric test.

What are you wearing and shining at your people?

xo bex

1 comment:

Meg said...

Love this!! My river duds weren't half as shiny.