Monday, November 09, 2015

Life on the Edge: book review (for the sewing scientists)

It's a book bridging quantum physics and biology, and it's a fascinating connection of sciences. I have a background in ecology, so the concept of trippy connections and unexpected effects was easy for my to accept. But the microscopic, even invisible effects that can be explained by quantum principles (tunneling, for example, which was compltely new to me), were tremedously enlightening.
How do robins know to travel exactly 15 degrees south?
The authors have taken on a difficult task - a book about exceptionally complex topics written for the lay reader. Is there such an audience? The writing is pretty basic, so basic in fact, that I x-ed out entire pages so that if I went back to re-read, I wouldn't bother with them. But once I waded through the basic sections, there would be a really rich page or two of deep connection.

How does photosynthesis ACTUALLY work, for instance? The quantum explanation made me so delighted (I'd paste it here, even, except that I gave the book to a quantum mechanics-obsessed student who hasn't yet returned it). Of course there's not a mechancal explanation, or we'd all be dead (ok never born) from starvation. I like to see magic in the natural world- defined as phenomena that humans just couldnt' recreate with our clunky abilities - and quantum tunneling is that.
stomata. CRAY. 
I'm a self-identified science nerd, so I have a working understanding of a broad range of science phenomena. As a teacher, I am also required to constantly deepen my own understandings as students bring misconceptions and new ays of seeing -that is, I have to use deep critical abilities to know when questions are wacko vs genius. So I think I'm a pretty good pop science reader, is what I'm trying to say. I'm not, however, used to seeing myself as a physicist.

This book has given me tools for understanding quantum language and experiments, which makes me feel dangerously educated. I recommend it for anybody who's curious about this field - you can skip the easy part and geek out on the deep parts. OR if you're not so science-y already, read the whole thing and enjoy that someone has taken the time to meet you where you are. And then trip out.

Ted talk from the authors here.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for my review.

No comments: