Monday, January 17, 2011

good job, mom: indian dinner (from space)


Kohlrabi is this winter's New Vegetable. How have I never eaten it before? It's right there in the middle of the January wedge of my food wheel (buy one for yourself!). It is a space alien vegetable and I ate the greens last week with eggs. Normal, greens. Whatevs.

I wanted to do something more interesting with the bulb/tuber of the thing. Somehow I knew India/Pakistan had the answer. The recipe site format is completely annoying, but visit nonetheless because this recipe is tight. (Tight?? Who said that?)

notes: if you don't have asafoetida, use two cloves of garlic. if you are gringalicious and don't have cardamom pods, leave them out. if, for the same reason, you fear the amount of red pepper called for, reduce at will. I didn't have a pre-mixed garam masala, so i substituted some tandoori mix. oops, shoulda used the curry powder! (on a cardamom note, did you know Bombay Creamery closed?!? I just learned that this weekend. no more rose/cardamom ice cream sundaes. sadness.)

Back to dinner: delicious. Trim the kohlrabi well or it gets stringy and yucks. If you burn the everliving shit out of half of it (like i did!), trim the burned parts and keep going. The vegetable was headed to the compost bin anyway, so whatever makes it into the gravy is how do you say? gravy. 

Serve with lentils and yogurt if you happen to have them around. or soak up the gravy with any old bread. YUMMEH.

No comments: