It's a hot topic for teachers as we're continually asked to give more time, ideas, financial support to our schools, our students, their families. So how do we refill our own vitality? How do we keep ourselves healthy, strong, and able to face the onslaught of politics and emotion that working with children (or in my case, adolescents) brings?
I'm working on figuring it out. This year spring break came and while I had tossed around a few trips and plans, I was so drained that planning was too much. So I booked a couple of keystones, and let the week unfold.
To start, I found a good therapist. A social worker friend reports that at least half of her work-related stress clients are teachers (or work for Ousd, oof). I'm sure there are statistics, but you can find em yourself. My therapist reminds me that I am worth love, that I am smart and able. These things get worn out of a person.
(Artisanal ice cream is gentrification and expensive and right by my house and school. And it's non dairy so...)
I'm also fortunate to have two body mind therapists-of-sorts in my yoga teachers KK and Abby, who remind me that I am blessed to be an earthling and that my work for myself on this planet is holy and valuable. I went to three of their classes this week.
So that's the foundation. I suppose church provides those for some (a lot?) of educators. I find church to be another system of oppression, and as I work to break myself and my students out of those, rejuvenation doesn't come that way.
I slept when I wanted. At 1am, 3am, 11pm. And I woke when I wanted. Usually around 9, but once at 6 and ok then! I usually have a massive sleep debt, but I didn't nap like I do when school is on. I enjoyed my days and rested at night like a regular person.
(I polished my silver jewelry; now I sparkle more)
I went outside! but not too much. I kept my step count high :) I wore myself out, just the right amount, with social fun. I went dancing. I went to the best monthly street party anywhere. I painted my toenails and colored my hair. I let the car sit for 3 days straight. I made things- pants for my kid, panties for myself and my hairstylist. A dress for fun, a shirt for an experiment (it failed. They often do). I saw a lot of art. I smelled roses and sweet William and jasmine and wore a forget me not. I ate greens, and fresh fruit, and chocolate. I gave a lot of things away, recycled bags of papers, and got a new purse. I had time to chat with clerks and the kids next door. I laughed, I smiled, I made progress on mid-range plans. I talked to my parents and faraway friends and played online with sewing nerds I think are cool.
It was a good week. A healthy week. A week of consideration and calm breakthroughs. It's shown me making better self care decisions every day; able to know what I need and how to get it.
It's so important that we honor ourselves. Damaged people are causing pain out there. How do you keep your batteries charged? How do you fire yourself up, sustainably? How can we encourage each other to keep it up?







No comments:
Post a Comment