I was really worried that a bustier person like me would look like a Capital A in this Ruby Dress from Tessuti Fabrics, and I was also enchanted by the cutout shoulders.
If you're wondering the same thing, stop wondering and go for it! Just use something super drapey. I added a center front seam because I was working with a weird piece of fabric, but it would be better without it...
I added side seam pockets using the Southport dress pocket pattern piece and technique, and if I hadn't had enough binding to do that cool loop (below) I'd have used the trick Kelli describes in the Roscoe instructions. Those True Bias patterns are good for cool tricks ya'll.
I love the clean clean look and finishing of the bound neck and armholes. I also think I'm pretty snazzy for doing this self-loop with the binding for the neck button.
I lengthened the back an inch or two after hearing reports that the dress was a shorty. I'm not so in love with the hi-lo hem, but I am a fan of a little bit more booty modesty in a more active lifestyle, dontcha know. Nonetheless, if it's windy, there will be exposure.
I'll probably not make more than one of these, because it's so distinctive of a shape, but i HIGHLY recommend it to anyone who likes a free and flying kind of silhouette. #summeriscoming
What's your favorite new pattern? There are SO MANY - share your tips!



1 comment:
what a fun make. You'll be able to style this dress in so many different ways.
Post a Comment