Saturday, December 19, 2015

Party dresses part 1: black

Score 1 LBD for me. At long last!! 
bought the fabric as a Memorial Day "turned in my grades!!" present, and the pattern (Vogue 1448) in the summer from a local I usually can't afford, Piedmont fabrics. (It's so nice in there, just spendy!)
It took truly 4 yards of wide (60"?) rayon jersey. I had scored the jersey for $1.99/yard-some crazy special from fashion fabrics club- so I win for what could have gotten super pricey super fast. 
I did the cutting and a lot of careful sewing during a 3-day thanksgiving vacation; so calming. 
I graded some craziness like 12 at the waist 14 at the bust 10 at the shoulders/hips...but could have just stuck with a 10 all around I think.
Here's an inch-ish I took out of the back at the side seam (an invisible zipper insertion I totally smashed, by the way, in a good way yayyyy).
 
And here is how I made it fit in front. I angled the front cross pieces about 2" farther than designed to remove drapiness and give myself a flattering snug neckline. 


I tried a couple of things- elastic in the seam, basting the crossover together, and pinning the shoulders to my bra- but this worked best. Took the photo to prove to myself that it's needed when I take out the dress next time and think I can skip that part;)

Then I wore it to a party! I fl39!|+]{*% love it!  I wonder though, what's your go-to party dress?

No comments: