Wednesday, May 06, 2015

WIP: Southport dress

It's interesting how your writing reveals you, isn't it?

I'm making the southport dress, my first make from Kelli of True Bias patterns & blog. She uses a lot of "scant" seam allowances. I like em too! It's funny to see them in a clothing pattern though. 

So far everything is lovely. Way more detail than I was expecting from such a simple silhouette, but they're great details, like a real button placket, well-placed notches, and bar tacks!!!! Bar tacks!!! To hold perennially floppy side seam pockets in place. 


She's also doing a sew along- so I bet there's even more to enjoy on her site. I find sew alongs sooooo boring and then eminently useful- like a reference book I'd  never sit down to read but pore over and over when it's time to brush up.

update: I took finished pictures at the restaurant patio yesterday, all sven clogs and southport dress, but blogger dropped em :( boo. summary: the dress is great! i used wax print a friend imported from uganda, so it's perfect for summer (wax print is SOOO easy to sew and breathes like heaven).


It also looks great with a bomber jacket (Bay Area afternoon winds)! The neckline gapes a bit and the skirt is a bit wider than i need, so I'll size down in front bodice and skirt next time (this time made a straight size 10). it's short! but hot short. so when i make the other 35 of these i'll be wearing this summer, i'll play with variously longer skirts - 2-3" longer, midi and maxi.

Thanks for a super one, Kelli! 


No comments: