i have strep throat. maybe i just have a sore throat. who cares! the point is, i'm still in my jams, and I have been cranking out the sewn jams today. holla!
I'm proud to say I'm keeping it hella local and indie, too, which adds to the happiness.
 |
| this is how you buy the fabric. umm. |
 |
| and then you cut and make an easy hem... |
1) contract napkins. towel fabric from stonemountain: $18.75 time spent cutting and hemming: approx 1.25 hrs. My friend offered way more than that for these, so i'm going to double her order tomorrow. (love ya, Syl!)
 |
| finished product! |
2)
Cation's dolman sleeve top! I have been eyeing this one for ages, but there are so many things already on the table, especially in the knits area. BUT my
bird fabric + Cation seemed like a perfect gift for my fake gf. i left out the back seam to make it backless, cause she's slutty like that. ha!
 |
| back view, hanging nicely :) |
let's be frank. it doesn't work to just leave out a seam and call it a feature. you know that. So I hemmed the raw edges, duh, and then crossed it over a bit at the waist.
 |
| surprise! |
 |
| namesake dolman sleeves with neat sleeve bands. |
it's kind of a long top, and i didn't figure she'd want her jeans/pants hanging out of her top, so i stitched the lower section closed about 3 inches up. see, up close:
then i rolled the top center corners in, a gradual hem that went from about 1/4" to 2' at the top.
 |
| sneaky tip top |
that made the draping more effective...then i raised the top inner corners up a little and trimmed about an inch off the top, again for draping. i'm so intimidated by those drape drape books, but somehow not so intimidated that i won't just make it up myself :)
 |
| full frontal |
 |
| pretty neck and crossover feature showing from the back. |
i love how sewing combines fashion and math and spatial problem solving. and creativity, and colors and cool people.
Now back to the cutting board for mama's present (s)!
what are you making?? and should I make ornaments for the children??
2 comments:
That bird fabric is awesome, and I'm a fan of your center back slit modification! I think leaving out a seam totally qualifies. And hey, you're in Oakland! That's right across the bay from me!
hey thanks for visiting! i'll wave the next time i cross the bridge ;)
Post a Comment