Friday, November 26, 2010

amazing week of soup

My soup pot's been on the stove all week. Outstanding! 

On Monday, i made split pea, which worked nicely to feed my "cleansing" babysitter. I made it up- soak a 99 cent bag of split peas with lemon juice overnight, rinse well, then saute whatever allium is in the fridge with a bunch of cumin, a dash of red pepper and chili powder (why not?), salt, pepper, add the peas, equal parts broth and water (or whatever) and simmer til soft. Delish. Didn't even freeze any, we just ate the whole pot. 

Wednesday I finally put all of the mushroom ingredients that had been waiting in the fridge for a week into the Roasted Mushroom recipe from Soup Love. It's really rich. It probably would have been better with actual wine, rather than that year-old bottle of $2 chuck, and omitting the carrots was not the best choice...but I froze a jar for Mom's visit, and am finishing the last fresh bowl now. It's a solid recipe. Yay! I stalked this little book in the local earthy boutiques before my sweet friends gave it to me for my birthday. Thanks, guys!

Yesterday emls and I whipped up a pot of this Butternut Soup with Bacon for the potluck Thanksgiving orphan dinner. What an excellent tradition. I kind of like going to these random events and celebrating a big holiday with (mostly) strangers. Arty, intellectual strangers. It reminds me why I love it here. Anyway, this recipe is so easy. You can fudge whatever you want on it (we tripled the garlic and eyeballed the cream, and have no idea how the amount of squash we used compares to the recipe) and it still works. Take it to a potluck (without vegetarians) and make yourself popular.

No comments: