Monday, July 19, 2010

Goat Trails of Northern California

there are probably three people i always enjoy hiking with. one is [emls]. we've developed a thing, it's nice. i love hiking, but you can't go with the wrong person. that's counterproductive. so Erin, and someone else, I'm sure (placeholder for?) and oh man, even though he's only been walking a third of his life, the kid is definitely one of them. This is in spite of the fact that he makes me carry him halfway.

We went on a new trail today, one that is supposed to have berries. NICE. I love finding food in the wild, and he loves berries. (He can almost say "blackberries". This is for reals.) Se we're trying out this new trail which was great if somewhat hard to find, and even in the car, he's gasping "WOW!" at the scenery. It was gorgeous. and QUIET. (He put his finger over his mouth, whispered "quiet"). But he quit walking a little early. It was a narrow trail, and kind of steep. So, cool. I started carrying him, and after a little ways I'm a little winded, a little sweaty, but I'm thinking we've covered a lot of ground! We've found a little berry patch (6 tiny berries), we're rolling. So we got to marker 5 high five! yeah! we must be close cause god i am sweaty and panting.

Not so fast, apparently there are SEVENTEEN trail markers. We had only just begun. But he is great! He is funny and sweet and he sees things I don't. And he is interested in the stuff I tell him, so we've got a good thing going. I did plead a little for him to walk, and then I used my mommy skills. See those boys running? do you want to run like the big boys? and then I ran backwards to get him to chase me, which he did, laughing all the way. and it was wonderful.

i probably carried him uphill a half mile. or maybe twice that. he's so damn sweet; it's fine.


moral: make sure there is food - and water- for afterwards (check!) and a clean diaper, if you use them (check!) and have a strong core and some serious baby lifting arms (check, check). and finally, ALWAYS GET A TRAIL MAP.

No comments: